Minority Opinion tabled GUE/NGL MEPs Sabine Lösing, Takis Hadjigeorgiou against rapport of Ioan Mircea Paşcu, Committee on Foreign Affairs
The report demands the increase of the military component in CSDP, more investment in defence and defence research and advocates the NATO - capacity target (min. 2% of GDP for defence spending).
We object to the report since it:
• pushes for an EU White Book on Security and Defence and its implementation, demands a strong defence industry and welcomes the European Defence Action Plan which benefits EU defence and security industries and the Military Industrial Complex;
• supports the CSBD- initiative which aims to provide more Security Sector Reforms and to train & equip also military funded from development aid (i.a. the civilian Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace);
• promotes the extension of scope of the ATHENA mechanism to finance all EU military missions/Battlegroups beyond parliamentary control;
• presses for the deployment of EU Battlegroups for all types of crisis-management;
• advocates a deep cooperation with NATO;
- radical (including CBRN) disarmament on EU and global levels;
- no military funding from EU-budget;
- all activities strictly within UN Charter, International Law;
- civilian EU, strict civil peaceful approaches to conflict solutions, separation of civil and military;
- strict separation of EU from NATO.